Friday, November 30, 2012

Extra Credit Post: Guest Speaker

I found it really fascinating and beneficial to the class having the two guest speakers (whose names I can't recall) come and speak to us about working with documentary films.  It was interesting because after watching the clips from their Egypt film, and hearing about their documentary reserve to fight I began to remember several discussions, readings, and learning material about certain documentaries we have discussed and also knew what mode these two fell under; at least according to my own opinion that is.
The first documentary film they spoke about took five years to produce which I find would be very exhausting, and patience stretching.  However, I remembered back when we talked participatory mode of documentary I recalled the movies we watched and how long they took to make and their involvement with the subjects of the film.  I haven't seen "Reserver to Fight" but based on what they said as they explained the story and subjects fo the film, I found reason to believe that it could fall under the mode of participatory mode.
The identification of their Egypt film is a little more ambiguous  since it is not finished.  But, with what information they gave us in class I came to the conclusion that it could fall under one of two modes.  The first one being participatory, just like the first one.  The other is reflexive because they could do a lot of interviews and really connect well with he audience to show what is happening in Egypt and the struggles the citizens are facing.
I found this guest speaker to be very helpful because I learned a lot from them and what it takes to become a documentary filmmaker.  I will admit I do not believe that I will go down the bath of a documentarian and I know that the purpose of this guest speaker was not to do so.  However, I will also admit that my appreciation for documentary films has been humbled and enhanced.  Largely because I can see that there can be more sacrifice, effort, dedication, determination, and inner reward found in documentary films.  They are reality, and we can be influenced more by them I think because what we see is real, not fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment